Friday, July 19, 2013

Nerve by Jeanne Ryan

 PHOTO from Goodreads
 
   Today I am going to be discussing the book Nerve by Jeanne Ryan. The story is centered on a girl named Vee, who is used to being what some might call "behind-the-scenes" until she impulsively does a dare for the monthly competition called NERVE. After that is such a hit because of it's embarrassing nature, NERVE asks her to do more dares with another player named Ian. With each dare the prizes get better and better, from an expensive pair of shoes to tuition for the fashion school of her dreams. But they also get riskier and riskier. 
   I think this plot is very unique because it is not very often are teenagers pushed to their breaking points as "dares" for great unimaginable prizes. This kept me enthralled the entire time just asking myself, "Will Vee do another dare?" Also it amazed me how intrusive and creepy the faceless people who run NERVE could be and I couldn't help but wonder what I would do if I was in Vee's place. Would I be willing to hurt my family and friends just to entertain the audience and to win some amazing prizes? Would I be able to clean up the mess afterward? Also I could not believe what the dares came down to in the end. I was, and still am, wondering if NERVE could really put them in so much danger even if their is not an actual human being that could be held accountable, just a computer system. It's kinda horrifying, really. 
   I would give this book 5 stars because of its captivating plot, interesting characters, and its ability to make me scared. This book has something for everyone whether it be romance, action, friend drama, parent drama, et cetera, so I would recommend this book to anyone. 
   Comment what you think about Nerve if you have read it or if you want to read it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment